Thursday, August 6, 2009

July 2009

Time Flies! About two weeks ago I got to go see the Broadway Production of Wicked at the theater at ASU. I went with some gals from my Book Club. I really enjoyed it. It was funny! Afterwards, we got to go backstage. One of the other gals from our Book Club is a seamstress and her job is to maintain the costumes (the costume designer won a Tony for the costumes in Wicked). So I got to look at the extravagant costumes up close, and inspect the stage props. It was cool to see how they had everything arranged and the stage floor that gets taken down and travels with them to each location. I didn’t really care to view the orchestra pit (once you’ve seen – and played – in one you’ve seen them all).

Megan has been practicing her writing and comes to me frequently trying to find new vocabulary words. She was trying to describe a young girls clothing and hair. She would describe them to me and I’d tell her the word. After giving her Chignon, Chemise, and Chemisette she wanted to know why everything that had to do with fashion or hair was French. I told her to ask Erin – our fashion guru. She wanted to look up words on the internet but Jason was on the computer. So remembering my lesson on Machiavellian tactics, she took him a large glass of water. She patiently monitored it and kept it filled beside the computer. Shortly thereafter, Jason jumped up to go to the bathroom and she seized her chance. He still doesn’t know quite what happened.

Every other year or so, I have a complete breakdown and this year I had one shortly before Catherine and Noah arrived. It scared Jason enough that he stayed up all night cleaning up his toys and mowed the lawn at 5:30 am (much to our neighbor’s dismay). Good things happened during our visit with Catherine and Noah. We made it to the last week of church at 8am! We now have moved to a 10 am start. I am so happy. In fact, I’m going to have a moment of silence just to pause and appreciate this new start time.





Megan enjoyed attending her first Young Women’s class with her cousin Ashton. She also had her first Young Women’s activity which she also was able to attend with Ashton. It was a volleyball tournament and she proudly announced that they lost EVERY game.

The kids spent a lot of time at the pool (what else could they do? It was 115). Andrew can now doggie paddle furiously ½ way across the pool. Both Andrew and Anthony’s skills dramatically increased after borrowing a snorkeling mask. It’s a lot easier to swim when they don’t have to worry about water getting up their nose. But if my kids are 20 years old and still swimming at the public school with a snorkeling mask on…..please don’t laugh at them.

We managed to go out on a double date to Ruby Tuesday and stopped off at Barnes and Noble to browse through the comedy section. I had to show Catherine some of Dave Barry’s work. Then we rented “Knowing” to watch. I recommend Confessions of a Shopaholic instead.

Megan celebrated her 12th birthday party and invited about 7 girls over for a “day at the spa”. We immediately put them in robes and smeared green masks on their face. They lounged around on our couches with their feet soaking in lavender water. Catherine and I massaged their feet with lotion and then Jason also helped to paint their toenails. Afterwards, they “blinged” some flip flops. This means they used a hot glue gun to put sequins, ribbons, fluff, roses, etc on the flip flops. Next was swimming at the pool while Noah grilled up some hamburgers and hot dogs. Unfortunately the glue on the flip flops melted in the hot sun so most of the “Bling” fell off between the house and the pool. By this point I was worn out and dragged the girls (who were still full of energy) out to the van to take them all home. I don’t remember what happened after that.

Catherine stuck around for the week since Dad was coming out. She spoiled my kids by making three square meals a day PLUS dessert. She even made an extra pan of my favorite (chicken broccoli casserole) to freeze. We enjoyed having Dad (the kids say thanks for the ice cream!) and Catherine’s family visit us. We can’t wait for Laura to be closer too!

No comments:

Post a Comment